(continued) i am too pissed to figure out now exactly why my links won’t link, or why the font of my post changes midway through the text…i might fix that later, i might not. i would bet on the ‘not’. but moving on,
18. HERCULES AND LOVE AFFAIR – BLIND
19. HERCULES AND LOVE AFFAIR – IRIS
i was on the plane back from romania, across the atlantic. imagine listening to this in flight. with your eyes closed. or/and, imagine: „today is a day for someone else/ this moment is yours and you can give it to someone else.”
20. A SILVER MT ZION – SIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THREE GALLOPING DOGS
this is from matt, close to his birthday, but before i started working. i was settling in the new place, taking walks by the ocean and exploring the surroundings of main. sunny september mornings, good times. also, from about the same days:
21. – BARRY LOUIS POLISAR – ALL I WANT IS YOU
22. KIMYA DAWSON – TIRE SWING
obviously, juno soundtrack. but they’ll also remind me forever of my day painting the walls at elena’s, right after david foster wallace died. how can that happen? well. memory is a very complicated thing.
23. SILVER JEWS – SUFFERING JUKEBOX
i was writing with yael at prado, on a friday afternoon:). i had no idea who the band were or what song. so i asked.
and in the following, you’ll see what one gets when one moves in with a musician: a bunch of good songs to be obsessed with:
24. PALYA BEA – ZOLD AZ ERDO (elizabeth calls it the gypsy anthem. it’s from tony gatliff’s ‘transylvania’.)
25. LHASA – LA CONFESSION – bad youtube version; but oh how i love french!!!
26. ART BERGMANN – CRAWL WITH ME
27. ROBERT WYATT – AT LAST I AM FREE
28. GANG OF FOUR – DAMAGED GOODS (possibly song of the season. no comment needed.)
29. WILCO – HOW TO FIGHT LONELINESS
not sure what put me onto my short wilco stage; could be yael’s doing…anyway yael, you’ll be happy (maybe not) to find out that wilco (based in chicago :)) are rahm’s favourite band. not that i knew this at that time.
30. THE ORGAN – I AM NOT SURPRISED
hmmm, how can you tell that in sept-october i used to spend all my thursdays and spare afternoons at prado, hearing various songs and then looking them up on youtube? yep. ‘the organ’ is a vancouver band (local pride yay).
31. LYKKE LI – I’M GOOD I’M GONE
minimalism is amazing. (and this is a facebook + prado song).
32. THE NATIONAL – MR. NOVEMBER
not only a victory song; though i admit, this is what it primarily was to me. i do see, though, that the text is ambiguous – that it shows the character on edge, and not necessarily cocky. he is damn frightened, but/and making a commitment. that’s what i think everytime i hear the lyrics. (and he fucks things over too, probably; i wish i knew really who the song was written about.)
33. THE NATIONAL – MISTAKEN FOR STRANGERS
here we go – the dark, fumbling part of my autumn, a.k.a ‘the fall’. brilliant song, no?
and then, for a split second, i fell in love:
34. THE INHABITANTS
35. THE FLOBOTS – HANDLEBARS
on the record: i do believe that seeing a friend take a different path from yours and knowing there’s nothing you can do about it is the best excuse for ending the world in a holocaust.
36. THE DRIVER QUARTET – RAHM EMANUEL
because i’m not the only one, obviously :). i hope he gets and keeps a huge following, so the band can do a nice video/recording.
37. KEVIN DEVINE – NO TIME FLAT
as i was saying – political songs are hard to get right, but when you strike a chord, keep striking it.
38. MARY MARGARET O’HARA – BODY’S IN TROUBLE.
and, really, really, really, you should hear this. but you can’t, yet, cause the album’s only coming out in april.
39. ELIZABETH FISCHER – SOMEBODY
(„there’s a new day coming/i can feel it in my bones/but what that day brings/i prefer to leave unknown”- or smth.) scary good stuff.